Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm Sorry

I've been neglecting my blog for too long.

With less than two weeks until Lemming Loop, my training has been so-so. It's probably too late to do anything significant now, except try and not overtrain in the few days remaining leading up to my "A" race of the year.

My longest run since Voyageur was a 20 mile LSD two weeks ago. And I didn't even get to have back-to-back LSD runs at all. I'm feeling like I'm unprepared for this race (as I was last year). Fortunately, I'm feeling faster than last year, and have race results to prove it. And I have been getting at least 40 miles per week in. Not as much as I'd like, but far better than no miles at all.

In a way, I can't wait for this race to come and go. This has been a long training season for me, one with huge gains in aerobic fitness and speed. I'm itching for a rest.

All that being said, I do have some decent goals for the upcoming Lemming Loop. Last year, I completed 85.6km in 12 hours. This year, I have set 3 goals for myself:
1. Complete 100km 2. Complete 90km 3. Complete 85km

The #1 goal is what I'm aiming for. If I miss it but still succeed in my #2 goal, I'd still be happy. If I miss my #2 goal, I want to be able to do at least as well as I did last year. I seriously doubt I would miss my #3 goal, seeing as how I was limping for 40+km last year. As long as I can keep my knee from falling apart, I should do awesome.

As a frame of reference, I ran the Voyageur 50 mile race in 11:30, which comes out to 80.4km. And that course was exceptionally hilly (by Winnipeg standards). I figure if I can keep up 13 minute miles, my #1 goal will be in sight.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dale
    Looking forward to meeting you next weekend at the Lemming Loop. I'm sure you won't have any problem meeting your #1 goal. Hopefully the weather holds out and it's a nice cool sunny fall day. Just remember that you can always do more than you think you can. That's what I always tell myself anyway and it seems to work.

    ReplyDelete