Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Looking forward to 2017 END-SURE 25k

Just under two weeks left until my race "season" kicks off.  I'm putting that in quotation marks since this year I have far fewer goals than I did last year.

After last year's disaster that was my Gnarly Bandit attempt, I decided to ease back on the throttle.  This year I'd be going for quality rather than quantity.  At least, that's what the plan was.  After my grandfather passing away over Christmas, followed by a dislocated shoulder (along with a sprained wrist to add insult to injury), I wasn't in training mode.  As such, I'm heading into END-SURE severely under-trained.  Fortunately, it's a grassroots style race, and they gladly moved me from the 50k to the 25k.  So at the very least, I'll get a 25k race PB!

On the other hand, my fitness is coming back pretty quickly.  I've changed things up a bit, by cutting out the snacks.  Weight control is one of the easiest ways for me to get faster: I just have to not do something.  I've also introduced more quality runs into my schedule: Tuesday is tire drag day, and Thursday is intervals day.  I haven't had a long run past 11 miles since last year, so I know I've got a lot of room for improvement.  But things are looking up and I'm encouraged.  Just as long as I can keep a 10:30 pace at END-SURE, I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment