Thursday, March 9, 2017

The Blue Car

The Blue Car was a Dodge Omni 024 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Omni_024).  It was also the first family car I can remember having.  My sister and I loved that car.  We went everywhere in that car.  I can still remember how it feels to lean my head against the hard plastic and try to fall asleep in the back seat.  I also remember the thrill I got when I discovered what the "magic button" did (it was the release for the folding rear seats).

My nostalgia for that car is in spite of all of its mechanical problems.  Being a youngster just barely of school age, I didn't care for things like that.  All I knew was that it was our car.  It was perfectly normal to me to have to use blankets in the back seat to stay warm in the winter.

Until my dying day, I will remember family car rides where we drove downtown to see the Christmas lights the city strung up across Main St. and Portage Ave.  We would pass the ice scraper around to get rid of the frost our breath made on the windows.

2 comments: