Friday, February 5, 2010

Cranking Up The Speed

Maybe the word "cranking" isn't the right one. But I am starting to push myself a bit harder than I usually do. I'm working on an experiment that the reason I'm not getting faster as a runner is because I don't try and speed up. Makes sense, right?

I've always run at a pace that I think is "too easy". I usually feel pretty good after most of my runs. From what I've read, that shouldn't be the case for any of them except my recovery runs. So I'm starting to dial the speed up a little bit.

Today, I ran a 4 mile recovery run in just a hair slower than a 4-hour marathon pace. I was very surprised to notice that my legs responded without complaint, and I cruised along feeling quite refreshed at the end. I don't know if I'll be able to run one of my LSD runs at that pace, but I'll try tomorrow and Sunday and report back on my findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment