Wednesday, May 5, 2010

WPS Half Marathon 2010

This last Sunday, I ran in the 2010 Winnipeg Police Service half marathon. This has been a year of great improvement in my running. And my result in the race proves that. I started off with a goal of 1:45:00, which would have been a PB by over 6 minutes. I ended with a time of 1:43:43! And the last mile was my fastest ever (even in training). I still had lots of fuel left in the tank at the end of the race. So maybe I'm in better shape than I thought I was?

Punching the numbers into the McMillan running calculator, it shows that I should aim for a 3:38:44 marathon. Yikes! That would be over an hour faster than my last marathon. And it's dangerously close to BQ territory (I would need a 3:20).

It's hard for me to get my head around the idea of me being a fast runner. I've always thought I had better endurance and guts than speed. Maybe it's time I started re-evaluating myself? If I get close to my McMillan time, then I'll probably pour on the training and aim for an early spring marathon with the goal of getting a BQ. Which will leave the rest of the season for accomplishing that goal if I fail on my first try. If I do get a BQ, then I'll be at Boston in 2012. But all this Boston talk is still a ways out. I need to concentrate on getting a sub-3:45 at the Manitoba Marathon first.

No comments:

Post a Comment