Friday, May 11, 2012

Garrison Martello Stout

Today's beer is another beer I've been hoarding in my basement for some time.  It comes in a 500mL narrow bottle with a pry cap and 4.8% alcohol/vol.  The Garrison Brewing company is relatively well-respected, so I have decently high expectations for this beer.


When opened, I could immediately smell lots and lots of chocolate malts.  It poured a dark brown colour with a small tan head.  The bubbles were almost completely undetectable due to the darkness of the beer.  After the pour, the chocolatey aroma had completely disappeared and was replaced with with a smell I couldn't quite place.


The first sip went alright.  I found the beer to have an exceptionally weak flavour.  There wasn't anything off per se, it was just weak.  There was a faint coffee flavour to it.  The feel in the mouth had a little bit of bite.  The beer had a bitter aftertaste that came slowly and was probably the most noticeable part of the beer.  The beer wasn't unpleasant, but I don't think I would waste my time with it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment