Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Minhas Creek Imperial Jack

I knew I was going to be playing with fire the moment I bought this beer. Minhas Creek doesn't have a stellar reputation for making good beer. Nevertheless, I was intrigued when I saw a craft beer made by them.  It comes in a 650mL brown bottle, with 8.5% alcohol/vol and 75 IBU's.  The label is pretty neat, with a red rabbit made out of Matryoshka dolls.

When opened, I could immediately smell the hops.  The first thing that went through my mind was "That's it?".  Maybe I'm a bit spoiled from all the Humulus Ludicrous I drank this autumn.  The beer poured a cloudy light amber colour.  There was a thin off-white head that disappeared quickly.  There were a modest amount of large bubbles.  The hoppy aroma had completely dissipated, and was replaced with a strong caramel.

The first sip was underwhelming.  At first it tasted like a regular domestic, but then a slight caramel flavour came on. The hops were only noticeable in the aftertaste and not very strongly at that.  The beer was far too cloying; I would not call this an imperial IPA.  But for the price I paid for the bottle, it wasn't too bad.  I don't think I'd buy this again unless I was broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment