Thursday, December 29, 2011

Unibroue Terrible

Even after yesterday's less than enthusiastic sampling, I thought it would be wise to finish off the last of my Unibroue collection.  It comes in the "standard" (for Unibroue and Chimay, anyway) 750mL brown bottle with a corked top.  It has no labelling, instead with just the essential information printed on the bottle: 10.5% alcohol/vol, dark ale on lees.  In a way, it's a coup for minimalistic labelling, in that less is more.  Together with the name, it gives the beer a "this is gonna kick your ass" vibe.

When opened, I was surprised that there was no spicy aroma.  Instead, there was an immediate hit of fruitiness followed by caramel and chocolate.  It poured an opaque dark brown (almost black), with a large tan-coloured head.  I could not see any bubbles in the beer, but they must have been there because the head lasted a long time.  The only aroma I could detect after the pour was a strong fruitiness.

The first sip was sharp.  There was an immediate burning from the alcohol and carbonation.  After the burning subsided, there was a fruity aftertaste.  The beer was only mildly sweet, and not very bitter.  The important thing to note is that there was none of the spiciness that I dislike in the other Unibroue beers I've tried.  This makes me very happy.  I believe Unibroue has redeemed itself with this beer.  I liked it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment