Friday, June 10, 2011

Half Pints Stir Stick Stout

In honour of the Vancouver Canucks, who are playing Boston at this very minute, I have decided to forego an American beer in lieu of a local brew. Today's beer isn't your ordinary run-of-the-mill microbrewery beer. It's actually a hand-crafted beer. So I expect good things. It comes in a 341mL brown bottle. There appears to be some sort of wax seal on the bottle cap, I suppose it's for tampering detection. The beer is 5.6% alcohol/vol, and has 35 IBUs.

Though the bottle didn't look it, it was in fact a twist-off. Oops. I guess that's why the wax seal is there, so make sure nobody twisted it. When opened, I could smell a lot of sweet malt, and a strong odor of coffee. Possibly even a hint of chocolate? The beer poured black, with a thin head that lasted a while. I could not see any bubbles because the beer was so thick. There was a strong coffee aroma to the beer.

The first taste was radically different from any beer I've tasted before. It was bitter, and the flavour came on slowly. It is both sweet and bitter at the same time. There was a strong coffee flavour, and the aftertaste was overwhelmingly bitter. The beer has a very soft feel in the mouth, no doubt due to its natural carbonation. I'm not sure if I would drink this again, since it's such a radical departure from any beer I'd normally go for, but I would definitely recommend everybody at least try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment