Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Weihenstephaner Original

Today's beer is a German classic. It comes in a 500mL brown bottle, and has 5.1% alcohol/vol. It is labelled as a "malt liquor", but I believe that is just some legal mumbo-jumbo. Weihenstephaner has a claim for the world's oldest brewery in continual existence (since the 700s).

Upon opening, I immediately smelled fruity hops. This aroma eventually gave way to some strong malt. The beer poured a pale yellow, with lots of tiny bubbles. There was a thin creamy head. The malt aroma had dissipated, leaving a whiff of hops.

The first sip was pretty good. The beer has a very soft feel in the mouth. The beer went down very easily with almost no aftertaste. A very light sweetness to it. I would put this beer down on my list as a "summer beer", and would definitely drink it again.

In other news, I am going to be away on vacation all of next week, so there will be no beer reviews. My beer fridge is also now empty so there may be a day's delay in my resumption of my ratings.

No comments:

Post a Comment