Monday, June 6, 2011

Flying Dog Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale

Today's beer comes from Frederick, Maryland. It has a quote from Hunter S. Thompson on the label, so it is already starting off on the right foot. It comes in a 12 oz bottle, and has 5.5% alcohol/vol. It even has the IBU listed: 35.

When the bottle was opened, I was hit in the face with a strong hoppy aroma. When poured, the beer came out amber in colour. Not a lot of head (which disappeared quickly), and an average amount of large bubbles. The beer was fairly cloudy with sediment. The strong hoppy smell was still there, coupled with some malty goodness.

The first sip was pretty good. Hop-heads should love this beer. It had a rich flavour, with just a slightly bitter aftertaste. It reminded me a lot of the Czech pilsners I sampled. This is a beer I did not get bored of. Every sip was an adventure. By far, the best American beer I've tried. If there was anything I could complain about, it was that the aftertaste lasted too long (several minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment